Mondays, Sprouts and Marmite

Mondays, Sprouts and Marmite some people love them some people hate them! I love Marmite, and sprouts - as I've grown older I've become accustomed to their taste, but Mondays, give me any other day! In a hope to cheer up Monday, here's my crochet sprout pattern. Makes a great tree ornament, garland or wreath, add eyes for fun, or even add them as a decoration or a little extra when wrapping presents. 

Even if you don't like them they are a must at Christmas...No?!


Crochet Sprout

You will need:
4.5mm or 5mm crochet hook
1 ball green Aran cotton yarn
(I used Paintbox Aran cotton from LoveCrochet)
Polyester stuffing

Abbreviations: (UK terms)
ch - chain
st(s) – stitch(es)
dc - double crochet
dec - dc two together
htr - half treble
tr -treble

Centre
Work in continuous rounds
Ch 2
Round 1: 6 dc in second ch from hook (6)
Round 2: 2 dc in each st around (12)
Rounds 3 to 5: 12 dc
(If attaching safety eyes do so at this point)
Round 6: 6 dec
Fasten off, stuff with polyester filling, close the gap and weave in ends.

Leaves (make 3)
Ch 2
Row 1: 2 dc in second ch from hook, turn (2)
Row 2: 1 ch, 2 dc in each st, turn (4)
Row 3: 1 ch, 2 dc in first st, 2 dc, 2 dc in last st, turn (6)
Row 4: 1 ch, 6 dc, turn
Row 5: 1 ch, 1 dc, *1 htr and 1 tr in next st, 1 tr and 1 htr in next st, repeat from *, 1 dc
Fasten off, leaving a long thread to attach leaves to centre.

Sew leaves to sprout centre, I attached mine at the base and with a few sts between rows 4 and 5. Weave in ends.

Thread onto ribbon or string to make hanging ornaments or a garland, or attach to a wreath. Glue on eyes to make them more fun. 

I would love to see your makes, tag me on Instagram

Thanks Flo and Dot