htr heart

This afternoon I've been making crochet hearts for hospital patients who have Covid-19 and their families. I've attached the link to the BBC News article which inspired me to do so. I've made them flat so I can pop them in the post box on my daily dog walk, saving an additional trip out and queuing in the post office.


I used Ricorumi DK cotton and a 4mm hook. You can use any clean cotton yarn. I'm making two hearts of each colour. These need to be sealed in a taped up bag, such as a freezer bag, and dated. 72 hours must have elapsed before they are safe to use.

(UK htr = US hdc)

Make 3ch.
2ch does not count as first st throughout.
Rnd 1: 9htr in third ch from hook. join with sl st to top of first htr. (9sts)
Rnd 2: 2ch, 2htr in each st around, join with sl st to top of first htr. (18sts)
Rnd 3:  2ch, (tr, dtr) in first st, 2dtr in next, (dtr, tr) in next, (tr, htr) in next, 4htr, (htr, tr) in next. Now you are half way... (tr, htr) in next, 4htr, (htr, tr) in next, (tr, dtr) in next, 2dtr in next, (dtr, tr) in next, 2ch, sl st to base of first st. (28sts)
Fasten off, weave in ends





I'd love to see your makes, send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @flo_and_dot  #floanddot

Thanks Sarah-Jane :)