Lockdown Blanket

Are you easily distracted at the moment, does your mind wander and whirl...that is me, which is why I've chosen to make a blanket... a longer term project, something I can pick up and put down when I want, something to keep my mind and hands occupied but simple enough for me to be able make whilst watching tv in the evening.
I've used these spirals in a few designs and I think they're fun to crochet. I've chosen to use the Scheepjes Stonewashed and Riverwashed colour pack for my blanket as I like the variety of colours, each small ball is a treat, perfect for a swirly pattern which reminds you of sweets and lollipops.
There are 58 balls in the pack and I thought if I leave out two, the one I've chosen for the main colour (Moon Stone) and the next closest, I should be able to make a blanket of 7 x 8 squares (if I've done my times tables correctly ;)).
The full blanket pattern is now in my Etsy Shop but I thought I'd share the pattern for the motif with you here. Hope you like it :) 





Swirly Square

You will need:
DK yarn in two colours (Contrast colour A and main colour B)
4mm crochet hook

Abbreviations: This pattern is written in UK terms (1dc is equivalent to 1sc in US terms)
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
htr – half treble
tr – treble
dtr – double treble
sl st – slip stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)

Note:
To form the spiral centre, one half of each round is worked in the main colour and one half in the contrast colour. The main colour is worked in the contrast colour sts of previous round and the contrast colour is worked in the main colour sts. When changing between colours, remove hook, drop yarn and either extend loop or mark the loop with a stitch marker to prevent unravelling. Do not cut yarn between changes.

Using yarn A, make 2ch.
Rnd 1: In second ch from hook, 2dc, 2htr, 2tr, change to yarn B, join with sl st in same ch, ch, 2dc, 2htr, 2tr. (12sts)




Rnd 2: Using yarn A, 2tr in next st, six times, change to yarn B, 2tr in next st, six times. (24sts)



Rnd 3: Using yarn A, (tr, 2tr in next st) six times, change to yarn B, (tr, 2tr in next st) six times. (36sts)



Rnd 4: Using yarn A, (2tr, 2tr in next st) six times, change to yarn B, (2tr, 2tr in next st) six times. (48sts)



Rnd 5: Using yarn A, (3tr, 2tr in next st) five times, 2htr, dc, 2dc in next st, change to yarn B, (3tr, 2tr in next st) five times, 2htr, dc, 2dc in next st. (60sts)
Fasten off yarn A.




Rnd 6: Using B, sl st in next st, ch, dc in same st, dc, * 2htr, 2tr, dtr, (2dtr, 2ch, 2dtr) in next st, dtr, 2tr, 2htr, 4dc, rep from * three more times, ending with 2dc not 4dc, join with sl st to first dc. (72sts)




Rnd 7: Using B, make 3ch (3ch counts as first st), tr in next st, and each st along to corner, work (2tr, 2ch, 2tr) in corner, repeat around to end, join with sl st to first tr. (88sts)
Fasten off.


There you have it. I'd love to see your squares and blankets if you make any, send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @flo_and_dot  #floanddot

Thanks Sarah-Jane :)