Spiralling into the Unknown

Something to cheer up a rainy Tuesday :)
Yesterday (which I eventually realised was Monday....all the days seem the same to me at the moment), I started playing around with my swirly square motif, trying out different colour variations. Those I chose appear to sum up my mood quite well....mostly grey with the occasional burst of colour!
Anyhow, whilst doing so I thought maybe rather than a square I could turn the swirl into a hexagon...so this is what I came up with. I think it looks a bit like someone's casting a spell :)


Swirly Hexagon

You will need:
DK yarn in two colours (Main colour A and contrast colour B - I'm using Colour Lab by West Yorkshire Spinners here)
4mm crochet hook

Abbreviations: This pattern is written in UK terms (1dc is equivalent to 1sc in US terms)
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
htr – half treble
tr – treble
sl st – slip stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)

Note:
To form the spiral centre, one half of each round is worked in the main colour A and one half in the contrast colour B. The main colour is worked in the contrast colour sts of previous round and the contrast colour is worked in the main colour sts. When changing between colours, remove hook, drop yarn and either extend loop or mark the loop with a stitch marker to prevent unravelling. Do not cut yarn between changes.

You can see photos for rounds 1 to 3 in my earlier post for the lockdown blanket.

Using yarn A, make 2ch.
Rnd 1: In second ch from hook, 2dc, 2htr, 2tr, change to yarn B, join with sl st in same ch, ch, 2dc, 2htr, 2tr. (12sts)
Rnd 2: Using yarn A, 2tr in next st, six times, change to yarn B, 2tr in next st, six times. (24sts)
Rnd 3: Using yarn A, (tr, 2tr in next st) six times, change to yarn B, (tr, 2tr in next st) six times. (36sts)
Rnd 4: Using yarn A, (2tr, 2tr in next st) five times, 2htr, 2dc in next st, change to yarn B, (2tr, 2tr in next st) five times, 2htr, 2dc in next st. (48sts)
Fasten off yarn B.


Rnd 5: Using A, sl st in next st, 2ch (counts as htr), * htr in next st, tr,  (tr, 2ch, tr) in next st, tr, 2htr, dc, htr, rep from * five more times, leaving out last htr, join with sl st to top of first 2ch. (54sts)


Rnd 6: Using A, make 3ch (3ch counts as first tr), tr in next st, and each st along to corner, work (2tr, 2ch, 2tr) in corner, repeat around to end, join with sl st to top of first 3ch. (78sts)
Fasten off.



There you have it. I'd love to see your swirly motifs if you make any, send me a photo or tag me on Instagram @flo_and_dot  #floanddot

Thanks Sarah-Jane :)